Happy Thanksgiving! Well, about a week left before the Dec. 3 hearing. Haven't heard much on that at all, but everyone else seems to be doing the same thing- waiting to see what happens.
There has been a lot of good discussion on the Robot Wars Forum about custom electronics, etc. Not too much else lately- haven't been hearing from you guys in a while- please keep me updated on other Robot Wars sites, I don't get much opportunity to get out and look around for new and updated sites for my links pages, so I mostly have to rely on your input.
Well thats about it for now. Keep your fingers crossed for the next week!
Well, finally a lot of new things to mention today- here we go:
- New Site for the Long Reach Robot Challenge.
- Carlo B. (creator of Biohazard) will be talking about hobby robotics live on Real Audio at 3pm Central this Saturday. Tune your browser to http://www.compbeat.com/.
- Dave Cole (remember him?) Posted an update on the Robot Wars Forum:Well, after some time, I finally received a copy of the "Certificate of Occupancy" for the arena. The lots have been paved, and the lights are on. All I have to do to hold the event, is come up with the rules and the barrier. Pending the outcome of the 3rd, I am ready take a bat to the "Empire" (oops, typo) to go to bat with the empire. I can hold an event within 30 days, so let me know. The site of the event would be in a Casino around Las Vegas. Lots of fun and games, lots of big money sponsorship, lots of legal staff, cheep rooms, free food and drink, yadda...yadda...yadda. If I am needed after the 3rd, just give me a call. With all my best, Dave
- Todd Mendenhall has also posted an update of the status of SORC:The SORC has begun filing the legal papers required for both California and US tax free status. This means that we are doing lots of unglamerous stuff like budget forcasting and reading tax codes. The process takes 90-120 days to complete (at least the state stuff). Like everyone else, we are awaiting the decision on December 3rd in order to access how we can best serve the robot community. Look for major new announcements starting December 15th.
On a personal note, I will be out of the country until December 10th.
- There's a new, temporary site for Team Sinister!
That's about all for now! Stay tuned as more Robot Combat information comes in!
Well, time for another quick update. Still very quiet out there on the robot front... And of course I've been keeping very busy in the meantime. I'm proud to announce that I have been promoted at work to a CG Animatic Artist! This is a big move from me- changing over from fixing computers to being a digital artist is a huge step at ILM. I start my new job on the 23rd! Wish me luck!
Still working on Nightmare plans and early construction. I'm building a small-scale replica of this robot to show to some possible sponsors. That alone should keep me quite busy as well!
Well, sorry not much more to say here. Still designing the full sound system for my new truck. I'm definitely aiming for show-caliber installation and sound quality this time so I can get back into autosound competition!
Stay tuned to the Robot Wars Forum for more information, as of course since things are slow right now for Robot Wars, I will be updating here only when things happen worth mentioning... See ya!
Well, it looks like the Long Reach Robot Challenge may be back on schedule, as the promoters realized that the note sent to them was most likely a prank by some obnoxious kid just trying to stir things up.
Another month goes by. I have archived the October updates in the section at the bottom of this page, and we start with a fresh page! Happy November!
Unfortunately, we begin with less than good news- the independant event called Long Reach Robot Challenge is being cancelled. Here is what was posted on their site today:We recently hit a little setbackNow, I dunno about you, but that letter doesn't exactly sound like it came from Marc Thorpe, whose rules are on the Robot Wars website, so it doesn't exactly seem likely that this letter could be taken too seriously. Consider also, the fact that they did not even use their name or give any specific association with Robot Wars, nor did they even bother to reread their note to check for misspellings! Bah! I suggest to take this kind of information with a grain of salt- don't let it get to you unless you actually get something in paper. These days, anyone who wants to ruffle some feathers can send e-mail as anyone else.
>Rahat...We have a slight problem. I recieved this today:
>Did you steal or (copy) most of your website from
>because there is a striking similarity. If so, and I do beleive that is
>so, you need to create your own rules and regulations because if
>you didnt notice, all of the texts on the robot wars homepage are
>COPYRIGHTED! If you know what that means, and I hope you do,
>this is not a threat, but you can get sued for violation of copy righted
>materials! I just hope that similarity is by coincidence only when my
>lawyers review it on Friday. I demand that you rewrite the rules
>pages and other pages you stole from me, or receive impending
>disputes. Of course, if you have $300,000 to purchase the copy
>right, you can gladly bid on them on December 3rd instead of
As a result: THE LONG REACH HIGH SCHOOL ROBOT CHALLENGE IS OFFICIALLY CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
they threatened to sue us
NO ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
we are still trying to do the event
IF THE ROBOT CHALLENGE IS REINSTATED: ALL OF THE RULES WILL BE CHANGED.
sorry about the inconvenience
WE SINCERELY APOLOGIZE TO ALL WHO HAVE BEEN OFFENDED BY THE PREVIOUSLY POSTED MATERIAL.
Any ideas on how other people have held events would be appreciated
IF YOU WANT DETAILS YOU MAY CONTACT:
MR. RYAN AT LONG REACH HIGH SCHOOL (410) 313 - 7117
THIS WEBPAGE WILL UPDATE THE STATUS OF THE ROBOT CHALLENGE ON NOVEMBER 13, 1998.
Then again, the evil one did use scare tactics (in a bit more professional manner) to get Robotica cancelled.... and THAT worked then too. I'm just tired of seeing this knee-jerk reaction to the words "I'll sue" - I say give them a chance to put their words where it counts-you'll know in a few days if it was a hoax. I highly doubt that Profile would sue for such a small-scale event like this, I would think they have their hands quite full as it is.