4/21/98 - I introduced a new section on this site today- the Robot
Warriors Tips page, full of design and building tips for the beginning
robot warrior. Check it out!
I also posted the latest rules for Robot Wars 1998! This is the most up-to-date list of changes to last year's rules.
4/20/98 - Things have been going well for me now! I have pretty much abandoned the possibility of working with the 3hp motors I have, so I have been shopping around for a similar pair of permanent magnet motors for Hercules. I have a couple of possibilities already, its just going to take some time finding (and buying, receiving, installing) the new ones. Once I have them, things should really pick up. I have been distracted from my motor problems on Hercules long enough to get some real work done on "Junior" (I'm calling Herc Jr. by this shortened name and its kinda growing on me, maybe I'll just register him as just plain "Junior"- kind of a neat name, huh?) Anyway, in case you haven't been following much lately, I had decided to enter two robots this year, one all-new Heavyweight that would take the 'Hercules' name and legacy, and last year's entry (aka 'old Hercules') was going on a diet to become a middleweight. Well, I started stripping down the robot, taking off everything I could to get it as close to the 100 lb weight limit, but try as I may, I could not get below 120, so I decided basically that I had to abandon most of the robot and start from scratch. Now, I knew this project was not too hard cuz I already had most of the parts from the old robot: wheels, motors, flipping arm, speed control, etc. It just meant that I had to build a new frame and armor. So, this past weekend, I decided to start on Junior. Saturday morning I had a mismatched pile of parts, and by Sunday afternoon, I was driving the darn thing around the parking lot! It came together a LOT easier than I expected! And very strong and fast! I still have to put on a few finishing touches and the armor top, but I was able to get the robot down to 69 pounds! I have 30 pounds left to play with armor and other possibilities (maybe an additional weapon!). I will be experimenting with a couple optional add-ons for Junior since I have so much weight I can add on, I might want to take advantage of one of his unexpected features. I wont get into it too much here, but lets just say he is a lot more 'limber' than I originally designed! So, after the slump I've been in with Hercules' motors, I really got into the Junior project, and I am very happy with the results! I'll probably get some pictures up of Junior soon. Things are definitely looking up!
4/5/98 - Well, still working on getting this beast running. Had another
stupid setback last week while hooking up the speed controller (the diodes
didn't help as planned and I wasted yet another controller-man this is getting
expensive). Everyone I've been talking to says that it shouldn't be doing
what its doing, but it is. I'm giving these motors one more try before I start
looking for replacement (unfortunately smaller) motors. I am waiting on Vantec
to send back one of my speed controllers, so I wasn't able to do much with
the robot this weekend, so I decided to take a few pictures (without showing
off too much of course). Forgive the quality of these images, as my digital
camera doesn't do closeups very well...
Well, here is one of these motors I've been talking about for so long... 3 horsepower and 20 pounds each, incredible contraptions they are. I just wish they would cooperate with my plans!
Here are the diodes I'm using, (size comparison with a penny), on the left is the 70amp one, on the right is the 150amp one!
Here is a closer view on how I am gearing down the speed of these massive motors to turn my wheels. This chain drive system will allow flexibility while maintaining great strength without slippage. That's a huge 60tooth sprocket on the wheel! (The obvious key here is TORQUE!) The wheel is on a 3/4 inch shaft.
One of the two 11.5 inch tires. Lets see you push me around NOW, Biohazard!